Friday, November 11, 2011

Sarah’s “Montreal” Chicken

Sarah was one of my best friends in college.  During our senior year, I lived in a dorm with a kitchen, Sarah didn’t.  This meant that we didn’t see each other for dinner every night like we used too, so we made a date night.  Every Monday night we would take turns cooking, in my kitchen, for each other.  This is when I really learned to cook.  Sarah and I would be on the phone with our mothers all day Sunday or Monday as we wrote down our mother’s recipes, went to the grocery store, and cooked.  One day Sarah was excited that she got her mother’s “Montreal Chicken” recipe (not sure why it is called Montreal – Sarah was from St. Louis!).  She told me that this was one of her favorite Shabbat dinner meals, the meal she requested for Shabbat when she would go home during school breaks.  Sarah passed away a few years ago, but I make this dish often and it always brings me back to that night in my dorm having dinner with her. 

Ingredients & Directions
Pre-heat oven to 400.  
4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
1 extra large egg
1 cup bread crumbs

Sauce:  (I adjusted the amounts in this sauce because I like the chicken a little spicy, and not as sweet.  If you prefer sweeter, add more sugar.)

1/3 c sugar
1/2 c lemon juice (juice from 2 lemons)
1/2 t black pepper
1/2 t paprika
2 t curry powder

Dip chicken in egg and then bread crumbs, place on foil  or parchment lined baking sheet.  Bake for 10 minutes.  Meanwhile, wisk sauce together.  Flip chicken then pour 1/2 sauce over chicken.  Return chicken for another 10 minutes. Then flip chicken again and pour remainder of sauce.  Return to oven for 10 more minutes, until done.

No comments:

Post a Comment