Friday, November 11, 2011

Classic Potato Kugel

Let’s start this blog with some real tradition: Potato Kugel.  
Kugels are a mainstay of festive meals in Ashkenazi Jewish homes.  Kugel is a baked pudding or casserole and it can be made out of potatoes, noodles, vegetables, or even fruit.  My friend Naomi gave me the recipe for her grandmother’s Potato Kugel.  Naomi is always asked to bring over the kugel when she is invited over to her friends’ homes for Shabbat and holidays.  Below is her Polish grandmother’s recipe that Naomi shared with me, including her secret to delicious success – making sure the oil is very hot before adding it to the potato mixture! 

I FINALLY opened my food processor (the one that I was given for my wedding 2 years ago and never opened) to grate the potaotes... only to realize that I had no idea how to use it, and that I would just be easier to hand grate the potaotes and onions. 
*Note to self: learn how to use a food processor!

Ingredients & Directions

6 potatoes
1 yellow onion
2 extra large eggs
1 tbsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1/3 + cup vegetable oil


Pre-heat oven to 400.  Heat up oil in oven in 8x8 baking pan till it sizzles (about 3 minutes).
Grate potatoes and onion, add eggs, salt and pepper to potato/onion mixture and mix.  
Add hot oil to the potatoe mixture. 
Use some cooking spray on the pan and pour in the potato mixture.  
Bake uncovered for about an hour. 


The kugel tastes like a big potato latke - Amazing!
This Friday night, I am serving this kugel along with Sara’s “Montreal” Chicken, recipe follows.

No comments:

Post a Comment